WinRAR 3.40 shell integration
Thomas G. Madsen
2005-05-23 22:20:45 UTC

Am I right if I claim that the shell integration of WinRAR 3.40
doesn't work in WinXP 64-bit Edition or can I make it work somehow?
I miss the WinRAR context menu when I right click on a file or
folder.
--
Regards
Madsen
James Park
Madsen
Thomas G. Madsen
2005-05-23 22:47:10 UTC
Post by James Park
Use "%windir%\SysWOW64\explorer.exe /separate" to get your
32-bit shell extensions.
Sorry but I don't get that answer. How could this give me my
WinRAR context menu back when I right click on a file or folder
on the desktop or anywhere else?
--
Regards
Madsen
Charlie Russel - MVP
2005-05-23 23:11:57 UTC
This won't solve the desktop issue, but what it _does_ do is give you an open
Windows Explorer window that is 32-bit. In _this window only_, your WinRAR
(or WinZIP, or Whatever) extensions work, because they're connecting to the
32-bit Explorer. Meanwhile, a full solution will have to wait till WinRAR
does a full 64-bit version.
--
Charlie.
Jud Hendrix
2005-05-23 23:03:48 UTC
On Tue, 24 May 2005 00:47:10 +0200, "Thomas G. Madsen"
Post by Thomas G. Madsen
Post by James Park
Use "%windir%\SysWOW64\explorer.exe /separate" to get your
32-bit shell extensions.
Sorry but I don't get that answer. How could this give me my
WinRAR context menu back when I right click on a file or folder
on the desktop or anywhere else?
Open you command console, and type that command. It worked for me :)
but only in the newly opened window. Is there a way to put this into
the start of Win so that it will happen for "always"?

jud
Charlie Russel - MVP
2005-05-23 23:53:13 UTC
You could certainly add that command to your startup folder, and it would
automatically open up a 32-bit explorer window when you logged in. And yes,
there is actually a way to replace the 64-bit shell (desktop, etc.) with the
32-bit shell. But that is something I don't recommend -- if you really feel
that is necessary, then perhaps you really would be better served running the
32-bit version of Windows completely, with its easier access to drivers at
this point, etc.
--
Charlie.
jud
Jud Hendrix
2005-05-24 07:23:34 UTC
On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:53:13 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
Post by Charlie Russel - MVP
But that is something I don't recommend -- if you really feel
that is necessary, then perhaps you really would be better served running the
32-bit version of Windows completely, with its easier access to drivers at
this point, etc.
A step backwards to go a step forward :) I'll wait for a 64-bit
WinRAR.

Thanks

jud
Charlie Russel - MVP
2005-05-24 13:53:28 UTC
Yup. I keep a 32 bit Explorer window open, just for a few things(actually,
mostly, for my "Edit with vim" right click option). But I'm not willing or
interested in changing my shell.
--
Charlie.
jud
Thomas G. Madsen
2005-05-24 14:06:41 UTC
And yes, there is actually a way to replace the 64-bit shell
(desktop, etc.) with the 32-bit shell. But that is something I
don't recommend -- if you really feel that is necessary, then
perhaps you really would be better served running the 32-bit
version of Windows completely, with its easier access to
drivers at this point, etc.
I agree so I go for the 32 bit Explorer window until I can get
a 64-bit WinRAR.
--
Regards
Madsen
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
2005-05-23 22:57:54 UTC
Post by Thomas G. Madsen
Hi,
Am I right if I claim that the shell integration of WinRAR 3.40
doesn't work in WinXP 64-bit Edition or can I make it work somehow?
I miss the WinRAR context menu when I right click on a file or
folder.
Only 64-bit applications can integrate with the Shell, so until WinRAR is
available in 64-bit form, there'll be no integration.
--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------
Thomas G. Madsen
2005-05-23 23:03:01 UTC
Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
Only 64-bit applications can integrate with the Shell, so
until WinRAR is available in 64-bit form, there'll be no
integration.
Okay and thanks.
--
Regards
Madsen
Charlie Russel - MVP
2005-05-23 23:15:57 UTC
But there is a useful workaround for Explorer -- running the 32-bit explorer.
Of course, you need to be aware that 32-bit applications, including Explorer,
have a different view of certain folders. :)
--
Charlie.
Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
Hi,
Andre Da Costa
2005-05-23 23:05:57 UTC
How to run the 32-bit Explorer shell on Windows x64
http://www.extended64.com/blogs/bhpaddock/archive/2005/05/22/539.aspx
--
Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
Hi,
Madsen
Thomas G. Madsen
2005-05-23 23:13:46 UTC
Post by Andre Da Costa
How to run the 32-bit Explorer shell on Windows x64
http://www.extended64.com/blogs/bhpaddock/archive/2005/05/22/539.aspx
Thanks, Andre.
--
Regards
Madsen
Christian Hougardy (MS MVP XP)
2005-05-24 05:15:16 UTC
Post by Thomas G. Madsen
Hi,
Am I right if I claim that the shell integration of WinRAR 3.40
doesn't work in WinXP 64-bit Edition or can I make it work somehow?
I miss the WinRAR context menu when I right click on a file or
folder.
x64 WinRAR Shell Integration Registry Hack

it's here: http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?download=172

You need to be registred to access the download
--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa
http://msmvps.com/xpditif
Jon Grieve
2005-05-24 09:01:50 UTC
As others have pointed out, there are 2 separate copies of Windows
Explorer that you must use: both 32- and 64-bit. Because WinRAR is
32-bit, it is only integrated into the 32-bit Explorer. If you manually
run 32-bit Explorer, you get shell extensions back.

This isn't perfect... You don't get to choose your Desktop integration,
so that will always be 64-bit.

FWIW, WinZip has exactly the same problems, and I miss it's shell
integration too. I contacted WinZip to enquire about an x64 version,
and they basically said they'd do it when there was sufficient demand
(i.e. not yet).

Jon
Hi,
folder.
Ryan Hoffman [Extended64.com]
2005-05-24 16:45:02 UTC
I was waiting for someone else to point this out, but I'll do it... One of
Extended64.com's staff members has posted a solution to make the 32-bit
Explorer the default shell in Windows x64. With this, you can still run
64-bit applications, but you'll have the 32-bit shell (allowing you to have
WinRAR shell integration, Media Player Taskbar Player, and even the MSN
Search Deskbar).

Here's a link to check it out:
http://www.extended64.com/blogs/bhpaddock/archive/2005/05/22/539.aspx

We also have a forum specifically for discussing problems/tips with the
32-bit Shell on 64-bit Windows here:
http://www.extended64.com/forums/55/ShowForum.x64
--
Ryan Hoffman
Extended64.com - http://www.extended64.com

Windows x64 Support Forums: http://www.extended64.com/Forums/
Extended64.com's Windows x64 Blogs: http://www.extended64.com/Blogs/
Hi,
Madsen
Ryan Hoffman [Extended64.com]

Madsen
Andre Da Costa
Madsen
Jud Hendrix
2005-06-06 09:51:30 UTC
On Tue, 24 May 2005 00:20:45 +0200, "Thomas G. Madsen"
Post by Thomas G. Madsen
Am I right if I claim that the shell integration of WinRAR 3.40
doesn't work in WinXP 64-bit Edition or can I make it work somehow?
I just noticed they have an update, which is supposed to have fixed
the shell-integration (version 3.50 beta 5).

http://www.rarsoft.com/rarnew.htm

I installed it, but still no shell-integration. Anyone lucky?

jud
Thomas G. Madsen
2005-06-06 10:38:09 UTC
Post by Jud Hendrix
I installed it, but still no shell-integration. Anyone lucky?
No luck here either with version 3.50 beta 5.
--
Regards
Madsen
DKI
jud
Notsogentle
2005-06-09 15:01:06 UTC
Well i must say thankz to DKI for this link. I installed it this morning and
the shell integration works perfectly in all explorer windows, with no
hacking whatsoever. Greetz out to all x64 users and I hope these companies
catch on to the fact that 64-bit is not going away, its not a fad, and they
better catch up!
installer.
man1c
2005-06-06 11:04:29 UTC
Ryan Hoffman has come up with a fix for this over at Extended64

http://www.extended64.com/blogs/rhoffman/archive/2005/06/05/705.aspx
--
man1c
man1c's Profile: http://64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=1
View this thread: http://64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1412
Wayne Wastier
2005-06-06 11:17:47 UTC
Post by man1c
Ryan Hoffman has come up with a fix for this over at Extended64
http://www.extended64.com/blogs/rhoffman/archive/2005/06/05/705.aspx
Thank you. And thank you Ryan and Rafael. This is tres cool. :)

Wayne
Thomas G. Madsen
2005-06-06 11:29:41 UTC
Post by man1c
http://www.extended64.com/blogs/rhoffman/archive/2005/06/05/705.aspx
Thanks.

I have done as explained at:
<http://www.extended64.com/blogs/rhoffman/archive/2005/06/06/714.aspx>
- but there's still no WinRAR context menu. Does it require a restart?
--
Regards
Madsen
Thomas G. Madsen
2005-06-06 11:42:02 UTC
Post by Thomas G. Madsen
Does it require a restart?
Nope. It doesn't work after a restart either.

Life is to short for beta products. I'll wait for the final
release of a Windows XP 64-bit compatible version of WinRAR.
--
Regards
Madsen
Jud Hendrix
2005-06-06 13:45:29 UTC
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:29:41 +0200, "Thomas G. Madsen"
Post by Thomas G. Madsen
<http://www.extended64.com/blogs/rhoffman/archive/2005/06/06/714.aspx>
- but there's still no WinRAR context menu. Does it require a restart?
Is that the patch? (the one mentioned at top of the blog).

I applied that patch: first register patch, then the close-all, and
then copy the rar-patch to the directory where winrar is installed,
and run it from there. Doesn't require a restart.

jud
Thomas G. Madsen
2005-06-06 18:48:01 UTC
Post by Jud Hendrix
Post by Thomas G. Madsen
<http://www.extended64.com/blogs/rhoffman/archive/2005/06/06/714.aspx>
- but there's still no WinRAR context menu. Does it require a restart?
Is that the patch? (the one mentioned at top of the blog).
Quote:

| If you don't want to do all of that hacking to WinRAR, just grab
| Extended64's WinRAR 3.50 Beta 5 x64 Shell Extension Patcher.
|
| Simply download the zip file, extract it into the folder that
| you've installed WinRAR, and run RarExtPatch.exe. RarExtPatch.exe
| will kill any of the "stuck" RarExtLoader.exe's, it will then patch
| it, and add in three missing registry keys.

And that is what I've done.
Post by Jud Hendrix
I applied that patch: first register patch, then the
close-all, and then copy the rar-patch to the directory where
winrar is installed, and run it from there. Doesn't require a
restart.
Okay.
--
Regards
Madsen
Jud Hendrix
2005-06-06 20:41:57 UTC
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:48:01 +0200, "Thomas G. Madsen"
Post by Thomas G. Madsen
And that is what I've done.
Like DKI and me just wrote, download again. It has been fixed now.

jud
Jud Hendrix
2005-06-06 18:39:46 UTC
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:45:29 +0200, Jud Hendrix <***@here.com>
wrote:

Ah buddy of mine has been e-mailing them, and he told me, they told
him they have fixed the problem, and uploaded a newer version on their
website, with the non-working shell fixed. I am not on my own system
at the moment, so can't check it....

jud
Jud Hendrix
2005-06-06 11:23:02 UTC
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 07:04:29 -0400, man1c
Post by man1c
Ryan Hoffman has come up with a fix for this over at Extended64
Thanks for the link :)

jud